Step #1: PrevNext
- You will need 30 pieces of paper: 15 of one color and 15 of another color
- I'm going to use double sided paper for my ball. This means there is color on both sides of the paper. Usually one side has color/design and the other is white.
- I will do the directions in regular paper. Blue and Green.
- Cut all pieces in half.
- You should now have 30 pieces of one color and 30 pieces of the other.
Step #2: PrevNext
- Start with one piece of paper. This will be the "flower petal." Make sure you crease the paper really well.
- Place paper colored side down.
- Fold in half, per picture #1.
- Unfold, per picture #2.
Step #3: PrevNext
- Take point at bottom right (A) and fold to center top (B). [Picture #1]
- Take point at top left (A) and fold to center bottom (B). [Picture #2]
- Your piece should look like a parallelogram. [Picture #3]
Step #4: PrevNext
- Now we are going to fold the larger triangle in half. Take the top right point (A) and fold to bottom center (B). [Picture #1]
- Completed. [Picture #2]
Step #5: PrevNext
- This next part can be tricky, so take it slow. Open up your last fold to 90 degrees. You will see there is a little pocket. [Picture #1 and #2]
- The top point needs to fold down to the center top, closing the pocket. It should make a square. Crease well. [Picture #2]
- I usually put my finger inside the pocket, pushing down on the paper. This makes the paper open up. Then gently press down on the outside. You will see it forming a square. Make sure the top points are straight and crease.
- More pictures in next step.
Step #7: PrevNext
- Take top layer and fold top point down to bottom of square. [Picture #1]
- Unfold the fold you just made. Take the top right side of the paper. Fold diagonally with the edge along the center line. [Picture #2]
- Fold down/over using the first fold. [Picture #3]
Step #9: PrevNext
- Fold top point down to bottom, similar to previous step. [Picture #1]
- Take top left side and fold down along middle line, similar to what we did before. [Picture #2]
- Fold down/over like before. [Picture #3]
Step #10: PrevNext
- Take notice of the flap. [Picture #1]
- Fold so it's standing upright. [Picture #1]
- You are going to stick your finger in the pocket again to open the pocket and kinda squash the front down. [Picture #2]
- Make sure it stays centered. You can see the fold line in the back paper. Make sure the point you just made is lined up with that. [Picture #3]
Step #11: PrevNext
- Do the same on the other side.
- I turn mine over so I'm working in a similar way as before. [Picture #1]
- When you are finished it should look like this. [Picture #2]
- I made one more without all the black marks for you to see. [Picture #3]
Step #12: PrevNext
- Now the easy part! This next piece is kinda like a "jacket" for the first piece.
- Take your other piece of paper. Lay it color side down.
- Fold in half and unfold — same as before. [Picture #1]
- This time we are going to fold the top right corner down to the bottom middle. [Picture #2]
- The other side — fold the bottom left corner to the top middle. [Picture #3]
Step #13: PrevNext
- Unfold both sides.
- Let's put on the "jacket."
- Take your first piece and lay it in the center of this piece, kinda at an angle along the fold lines. [Picture #1]
- Simply tuck in the flaps. [Picture #2 and #3]
Step #14: PrevNext
- Place unit in front of you vertically. [Picture #1]
- Fold the unit in half. [Picture #2]
- Fold the top left point down to the lower right side, making a triangle. Make sure to also fold the little tab. [Picture #3]
- Turn over and do the same to the other side.
Step #15: PrevNext
- Your first piece is finished!
- Now make 29 more!!
Step #16: PrevNext
- Great Job - you've made 30 total units!
- I made 3 in the green/blue color combo to show you how to assemble. [Picture #1]
- I have also made 30 units in the black/red/pink combination (2 color paper) to finish the project. [Picture #2]
Step #17: PrevNext
- Let's Assemble!
- Take two of your units. Look at picture #1 to show you the pocket and the tab.
- Take one of your units and place the tab into the pocket of the other one. [Picture #2]
- Slide the rest of the way in.
Step #18: PrevNext
- We are going to finish the triangle shape by adding the third piece.
- Lift up tab 1 and slide tab 2 into pocket 3. [Picture #1]
- Finish the triangle by sliding tab 1 into pocket 5. [Picture #2]
- Completed triangle. [Picture #3]
Step #19: PrevNext
- I am now going to continue with the black/red/pink units. [Picture #1]
- You will notice this unit has 3 colors. The red piece has pink on the other side instead of white. This can make for a beautiful ball.
Step #20: PrevNext
- Continue adding units and making triangles. [Picture #1 and #2]
- Notice the "petals." There should be 5 for each "flower." [Picture #3]
- Keep going... you're almost there. The ball will begin to form.
Step #22: PrevNext
- The last few pieces can be tricky - just take your time. Remember: triangle and 5 petals.
- Happy Folding!