Garrett spotted this really neat way to view the past without getting a Delorean, Google Earth now allows you to travel back in time – almost. There is an incredible set of old maps that can be turned on an explored, maps include: World globe 1790, North America 1733, US 1833, Lewis and Clark 1814, NY 1836, San Fran 1853 and a few others.
To turn on the maps go to Featured Content > Rumsey Historical Maps.
Related Google Earth projects and hacks!:
- Google Earth – Link.
- HOW TO GPS Tag Photos: Flickr, Mappr, Google Earth…. – Link.
- HOW TO make Google Earth Movies, for Free! – Link.
- 3D Google Earth – Link.
- Google + Keyhole = Google Earth – Link.
- Add your own 3D data to Google Earth- Link.
- Drawing with Google Earth and a GPS – Link.
- HOW TO – recreate trips with Google Earth, and a GPS – Link.
- Use mologogo with Google Earth (tracking with a phone … – Link.
- Virtual touring with Google Earth… – Link.
- GeoURL to Google Earth transformation – Link.
- Google Earth Hacks – Link.
- Google Earth – Wonderful world… – Link.
- Rita and Google Earth overlays – Link.
- NYC 3D Prints using OGLE: OpenGLExtractor + Google Earth – Link.
- WiGLE Data to Google Earth (KML File) – Link.
- HOW TO make KML data for Google Earth – Link.
- And more! – Link.