Ray Wilson of MusicFromOuterSpace gives a very in-depth review of the new Sound Lab Ultimate‘s features (skip to the 7min mark for sound samples). The Ultimate is an expanded sequel to the popular Sound Lab analog synth project, which adds a bunch of new features and makes the project fully patchable –
- Three Musically Accurate VCOs (sawtooth and variable width rectangular wave forms, pulse width modulation, hard-sync, log and linear CV inputs)
- VCOs provide plenty of tracking range. Listen to the samples below.
- White Noise Generator
- Active Mixer (for VCOs, noise and external input)
- Voltage Controlled LP Filter (12db/Oct doubles as a sine wave oscillator)
- Voltage Controlled Amplifier (log response)
- Attack Release Envelope Generator
- Two Low Frequency Oscillators (square, ramp, tri and sawtooth waveforms)
- Repeat Gate Generator (doubles as another square wave LFO)
- Sample & Hold (with variable sample rate and glide)
- Attenuator Bank (for an infinite variety of modulation patches)
- Patch Panel Design (provides infinitely variable combinations of sounds)
- Professionally machined panels and PC Boards available from MFOS
- Sound Lab ULTIMATE “Expander” already on the drawing board.
Looks like an awesome project for advanced synth DIYers out there. PCB + panel kits are available from the MFOS site.