Wondering what all the fuss is about hackerspaces? Want to meet cool people from the Ontario area and learn some new skills? Then you should definitely check out MiniSoOnCon, a mini hackerspace conference being held next month in Hamilton, Ontario. From their press release:
On Friday evening October 2nd and all day Saturday October 3rd, think|haus will host talks, how to sessions, and a projects gallery at which anyone who is interested can give a 20 minute talk on something related to creating projects, show people how to build/take apart/modify something, or show off their cool projects.
Some confirmed talks so far are:
- You Let Your Kid Do What? / A brief story about children and taking advantage of applied engineering skills in a positive way.
- Intro to Kite Aerial Photography / Come learn about the kinds of kites you can use to fly your camera, what you need to build your own kite, and how to modify your camera to take pictures automatically.
- RF Countersurveillance / A primer on monitoring police and security frequencies using a trunk-tracking scanner, and how it can assist in penetrating a target.
- OpenWRT Demo / Unboxing, flashing, and demonstrating OpenWRT on an Asus WL-520GU.
- Intro to Electronics Hardware Design By Someone Who Isn’t an Expert / It’s not nearly as hard as you think it might be, I’ll show you the steps and tools you may want to take, and warn you of some of the potential issues you may face.
- Badge Hacking / That badge you’re wearing is more than just a blinky light – find out how to do more with the first production badgeduino.
Check out the website and join in as an attendee or participant!