Alumcoif400Dpi
Here’s a great how-to for the novice chain mailer, covers designing and producing your own suit of armor – [via] – Link.

Img413 1408
From the pages of CRAFT: Battle Chic – Craft a wardrobe of medieval armor with DIY chainmail. Download Sample PDF & digital edition or subscribe.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. onebitpixel says:

Was the digital edition supposed to be a free (complete) preview of the craft magazine?

2. philliptorrone says:

onebitpixel – if you’re a subscriber, yup.

3. Oracle1729 says:

I subscribe to both magazines and access to the Digital editions works perfectly, they are a great complement to the magazines. I just have to force myself not to read the whole magazine online before I get the print version because I know I’ll enjoy it more in print :).

I still haven’t received the t-shirt that was offered with Craft though. When do those go out?

4. philliptorrone says:

Oracle1729 – they haven’t gone out yet, but i will check and see if we can post an ETA

5. Oracle1729 says:

Thanks Phil. I’m not in a huge rush to get it, I was just worried since I had my magazine in hand and no shirt that something went wrong and I missed mine.

6. Vrogy says:

I used to make maille all the time, I even tried making a lorica plumata once… scale woven into chain.

I wear this chainmail bracelet all the time- it’s woven on.

7. Cathaholic says:

Oh, by the way, if anyone is interested in making chainmail/chainmail products. The links are much better if they are sawed and not cut with wire cutters. It just works better, fewer snags and a bunch of other things. If you make your own mail then wrap a high strength wire around a dowell and cut it with a dremel or something. That’s what i did.

8. swampy-uk says:

If you want to experiment and try a load more patterns and weaves, check out http://www.mailleartisans.org/ as well.