Comments

1. yachris says:

So if I understand this correctly, the LED shines from the top and whatever is on the glass of the imager gets shown; so in the case of the hair, it was lit from above and so it was just a shadow. The salt was translucent, so it wasn’t just a shadow.

But the 20 dollar bill would just be opaque, right? So you couldn’t look at the microprinting at all? (And could we PLEASE not say that anti-conterfitting measures are “Security” measures? That term is so misused these days…)

Other than that, pretty cool!

2. KipKay says:

That is correct. I tried a portion of the bill but it was just a big black square. I also did some tooth ‘plaque’ but that showed up as a bunch of black squares as well. Live plankton was used in the article but I could not find any. Sorry about the misused ‘security’ term. Counterfeiting is more accurate. Thanks

If I recall, opaque projectors (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opaque_projector) basically shine a light onto an object, and project the reflected light. What if the LED shone on the item, at an angle as not to get in the way of the CCD? Shouldn’t it work? Perhaps you’d have to diffuse it (the LED) some way, but at least you could see things like dollar bills…

4. Carpespasm says:

What’s the approximate magnification power on this?

5. Pravin says:

Have you inserted a glass piece above the imager.. if not doesnt the imager get dirty when you are viewing stuff on it??

6. KipKay says:

@pravin – Yes the glass does get dirty and I did have to swab it a number of times to keep the image clean. If you used glass above it you would have to clean that but the process might be easier oif it was removable. It would have to be a teenie, tiny piece of glass. Thanks.

7. KipKay says:

@Carpespasm – I would estimate it to be around 50X.

8. whowhywhat says:

does the eyeclops microscope work the same way? they claim 200x magnification (could be digital processing?)