picoHydro062708_1.jpg
picoHydro062708_2.jpg
picoHydro062708_3.jpg

From the MAKE Flickr photo pool:

Pico Hydroelectric Generator in 5 gallon bucket developed by Sam Redfield and tested at La Florida in Guatemala. The generator is meant to be a very small, cheap, low impact generator designed to be used with existing gravity fed irrigation, fresh water, or waste water systems.

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of over a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture. He is currently a contributor for Boing Boing and WINK Books. And he has a new best-of writing collection and “lazy man’s memoir,” called Borg Like Me.

12 Responses to Bucket-borne hydroelectric generator

Your Thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Is there a web page with more info on this project? Are the coils implemented with wirewound resistors? clever! :)

2. Yes, more details on construction would be wonderful!

3. Leareth on said:

A quick google and I found a video of the inventor Sam Redfield explaining it. At least I hope… I have no speakers at ye’ work computer…

4. Gareth Branwyn on said:

The folks who did are http://www.aidg.org. Couldn’t find much in the way of tech specifics poking around their site (which doesn’t mean it’s not there).

There are more pics in their Flickr stream.

5. Anonymous on said:

Slick design, but you can only get so much energy out of low head-pressure and low mass-flow hydro — I’d love to see the numbers.

6. Cat Laine on said:

Hey folks,

Cat Laine from AIDG here. Sam wrote up some more info on the system here on our blog:

He’s going to try to get me a parts list with some basic specs in the coming week. I’ll post the link here when he does.

Cheers,

Cat

7. amanda on said:

I’ve been trying to get to aidg.org’s website, with not much success. “this account has been suspended.” Doesn’t always mean it has been, but…

Hope this comes back.

8. I’d love to see plans for this.

9. I’d love to see plans for this.

10. I’d love to see plans for this.

11. I’d love to see plans for this.

12. Julian Keesee on said:

That would be great in a sewer pipe

Related Supplies at Maker Shed