As crafters, we are used to reusing objects for our projects and being mindful of the impact unused or wasted resources can have on our environment. As we kick off our Save My Oceans upcycle contest, we’ll be featuring fun and meaningful ways to create projects that reflect not only the innovation with which CRAFT and MAKE readers approach all creative endeavors, but also how those projects can be made with conservation as a key ingredient and message. We’ve paired with TakePart for the Save My Oceans campaign, which is inspired by the Disneynature film Oceans, in theaters on Earth Day, April 22. You will have opportunities for you to share your best and most innovative upcycle projects for a chance to win an iPad and loads of other great prizes.
Here’s how to get involved:
– Take the Save My Oceans pledge to reduce your dependance on plastics, eat non-endangered seafood and/or work on reducing your carbon footprint.
– Sign up for our CRAFT/MAKE Save My Oceans newsletter. We’ll provide 4 thoughtful, useful newsletters full of information, project ideas and inspiration during our contest.
– Start crafting/making. During the contest, you’ll have the opportunity to make and share your projects that utilize upcyclying of materials, especially plastics. Add your projects to the Save My Oceans Flickr group so you can share your upcycling ideas with the world.
– Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter, where we’ll have additional prize opportunities.
– Carefully read all the contest details on the Save My Oceans contest page.
Our oceans today are faced with an increasing amount of plastic pollution. Each year, a million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals and turtles die by ingesting or getting tangled in floating trash. A key to cutting pollution is reducing plastic consumption. TakePart and Participant Media are teaming up with MAKE and CRAFT to present the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest inspired by the Disneynature and Participant Media film Oceans. While we encourage recycling plastic so it doesn’t end up in our beautiful oceans, you can defend the environment even more by upcycling or reusing plastics to make something new. Use your creativity to protect our oceans and share your ideas using upcycled plastics by entering the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest.
Pictured above are plastic upcycling projects that have been featured on CRAFT or were found in the CRAFT Flickr Pool.
Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest, Win an iPad