rileysworkshop1.jpg
rileysworkshop2.jpg
rileysworkshop3.jpg

Riley Porter’s “man cave” looks somewhat cramped but extremely well organized, with a place for everything. My favorite detail is the big monitor up on the wall, it looks super handy for displaying info while working on a project.

John Baichtal

My interests include writing, electronics, RPGs, scifi, hackers & hackerspaces, 3D printing, building sets & toys. @johnbaichtal nerdage.net

Comments

1. Luke says:

I hope one day to have my own “man cave” but for now I have a 1/3 of the garage (maybe less). But you have to start somewhere.

2. Gareth Branwyn says:

The Robot magazine is a nice touch, but Riley, where are the MAKEs? Really. I’m hurt. :-)

1. rileyporter.myopenid.com says:

Gareth,

I was hoping you didn’t notice that :) I read make on my ipad/mac book air. Most of the time.. Robot is not available in the digital format :)

However my make subscription is still active and my robot has lapsed.

Workshop:
      Yah its a bit smaller than I wanted but the cost to size ratio in the DC area being what it is. This is about as big of an addon as I could afford.

Luke: My workshop is about 1/3 of a garage :)

Ril3y

3. http://david.rysdam.org/blog/ says:

I don’t get the computers/monitors/TVs I see in so many workshop pictures. Maybe they are just for show and they never generate any actual chips or dust? Or do they have to haul out a big tarp all the time?

1. rileyporter.myopenid.com says:

David,

My woodworking equipment has been placed into a storage shed. This is the whole “size” issue I had. I had to make a choice, and while I do wood working projects I do far more electronics / hacking projects. So it is a bit of a pain any time I want to cut something on my table saw / mitre saw I have to pull it out hook it up etc. At our next house my wife and are in agreement that it will be a cement floor full on workshop not an prefab 18×12′.

-ril3y

4. RocketGuy says:

I’m going to be fitting out my man cave next year (it’s currently storing all our stuff while we finish the house), so I love these posts.

Making a list of ideas, one of which was to have a vacuum system to minimize dust/chip contamination and of course to reduce cleanup.

I also have to consider noise issues, as I’m in an urban environment and I actually like my neighbors. I’d like to try and reduce noise for my own sanity as well.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who’s installed an integrated vacuum system to their cnc rig etc. What did you use?

-RG

5. richms says:

That is considerably cleaner and tidier than my whole double garage workspace. Well done.