Those interested in mechanisms and horology will probably enjoy the hypnotic action of this single-pin escapement executed in Lego by YouTuber horolophile. An “escapement,” FYI, is the mechanism in a timepiece that converts continuous rotational motion into oscillating “back and forth” motion and makes it go tick-tock.
Here’s an entry describing MacDowall’s escapement from the 1877 Encyclopedia Britannica:
- Animated GIFs show how mechanisms work
- Weekend Project: Double Pendulum
- Top 10 mechanical curiosities from the archives
- Gorgeous antique pocketwatch LED retrofit
- Amazing wooden grandfather clock with full plans
- Gary’s wooden clocks (free plans)