This works. And surprisingly well. I used an old pair of electric clippers, and though the blades were pretty much toast when I was done, they weren’t new to begin with, and they only cost $10 to replace. The actual cutting went pretty quickly. The tedious part was transferring the maze plan to the carpet. I used a grid made from painter’s masking tape, which peels off easily afterwards. Even so, this project went faster and better than I expected, and this is a relatively large rug at 3×6 feet. A smaller one would be cake. And of course the design could be anything; I just chose a right-angled maze because it was relatively simple to lay out.