Anybody who’s interested in metalworking and machining, and has spent any time online, has likely bumped into “Tubalcain.” And anybody who has encountered his amazing metalworking/machining videos is almost certainly a fan. And what’s not to love? He’s a retired machinist and shop teacher from Illinois who’s capturing a lifetime of working wisdom onto video and sharing these tutorials with the world. There are some 200 videos so far, and they’re all jam-packed with great information, interesting little anecdotes about the tools and equipment, and a no-nonsense, crystal-clear presentation style like only a great teacher can provide. This guy is becoming the world’s shop teacher!

Last year, Tubalcain started a series of Metal Shop Tips videos. These deal with everything from working with basic bench tools to using a metal lathe and flame cutter. Here are a few of the Shop Tips series, to give you an idea of what he has to offer. So far, he has 37 videos in this Tips series. He needs a fanclub.

First of a three-part series on tapping (mostly hand-tapping). Here are parts 2 and 3.

First of a three-part series on care and feeding of drill bits. Here are parts 2 and 3.

First part of a two-part series on transferring holes. Here for part 2.

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

http://351100.tk/24    When can I see ah! I want to see!

http://351100.tk/24    When can I see ah! I want to see!

3. Huh, I’ve seen those screw punches before in my dad’s garage and never knew what they were.

4. cbleslie says:

That dude is so awesome. He makes me wish I paid more attention in shop class.

I just paíd $20.87 for an íPad 2.64GB and my boyfriend loves his Panasoníc Lumíx GF 1 Cámera that we got for $38.79 there arriving tomorrow by UP S.I will never pay such expensive retail príces in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LCD T V to my boss for $657 which only cost me $62.81 to buy.
     Here is the website we use to get it all from :
    BidsBit.com

Here is the website we use to get it all from :
    BidsBit.com

7. dr says:

This guy is completely golden. He has a whole series on casting and machining a “steam” engine too. Another YT channel I like is myfordboy. It’s basically the same thing, but he doesn’t talk at all. The complete silence lets you really “zone in” to the physical aspect.