From James Bruton of XRobots.co.uk. James’s take on the familiar vacuum forming machine uses a three-layer MDF sandwich for the vacuum box and forming table, with a vacuum cleaner hose connected at the bottom. His heating system is novel, in my experience, using an off-the-shelf quartz room heater at the bottom of an MDF “chimney” lined with aluminum foil reflectors. Sorry, aluminium foil reflectors. [via Hack a Day]

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

Article is very interesting,thanks for your sharing.I will visit this site.And welcome to wedding dresses online shop.

3. Alan says:

To hell with the classicists. Both Hall and Davy spelled it “aluminum” at various times, and without their work nobody would be able to afford enough of it to wrap a sandwich, let alone build engine blocks and aircraft from it.

4. Joe says:

best vacuum forming method I’ve seen yet.  I really dig that heater idea.  I would definately make sure that was WELL ventillated (perhaps in a garage), but this is encouraging.  I might finally build one of these someday

5. Chris says:

I’m building one now, I’ve done a 35″ x 35″ table with two vacuums and have the picture frame done as well; just have to complete the heater box next :) Thanks to James for this awesome video!

6. ishamon says:

Outstanding, simple and effective. Thank you for sharing, much appreciated

7. Seth Tyrssen says:

Now, that was fascinating! Hmmm… I wonder if ya could build a giant one, to make a full-size car body …