With short range wireless technology becoming increasing prevalent in the various cards we hold in our wallets, Serge Negrashov decided to make his own radio frequency shielded wallet to block any potential wireless data snoops. He used extremely strong Kevlar-Nomex as the fabric and painted the inside with silver epoxy to give the wallet its shielding quality. If you’re looking for a budget version, he says that regular epoxy with a layer of tin foil might work as well. What do you think of RF shielded wallets? Better safe than sorry or overboard paranoia? [via Hack A Day]

More:

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson is a Brooklyn-based creative technologist, Contributing Editor at MAKE, and Resident Research Fellow at New York University’s Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP). He’s the co-author of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and the author of Getting Started with BeagleBone.

Comments

1. Courtney Christensen says:

I just use a metal cigarette case as a wallet.  It’s pretty and the whole thing is metal so it should block any RFIDs.

my best friend’s mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. she has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. read about it here and follow the steps , don’t really pass it up http://shr.tn/Nfg5

3. Leo Miller says:

Is there anyway to make the opposite of this and make one that boosts rf signals for smartcards?

4. Leo Miller says:

5. people are so smart this days. i never thought that somebody would hack things we put inside the wallet

6. Ric Kolseth says:

Is this EMP-proof? When Iran launches their EMP ICBMs, I want my credit cards to work… (googles for Faraday-cage wallets)…

7. Useful.  I have a metro card that I regularly use, and a metro card for “guests”.  I’m looking into making one of these so I can have one that works for me and one that is in my wallet but shielded for when I have guests, I can give them…

8. golond says:

I’d rather hack the card, addding a normally open button to separate the antenna coil, but that could be pressed without taking it out of the wallet, making it unreadable until needed.

9. golond says: