I would not have thought, if you had just described it to me in words, that an Enterprise-shaped coffee table could be “classy,” but I believe Etsy seller Barry Shields has done it. It’s sold already, of course, but I bet he’ll be making more. [via Dude Craft]

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Trek Nerd says:

Quick! Someone change that! I should be NCC-1701-D, not C!

/is a nerd
    /just wants to help

1. Kozz says:

@Trek Nerd — actually, I think it probably IS the “C”. Check the shape of the secondary, the shape of the nacelles and how they attach to the secondary, and compare with what’s here: http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/entcmain.html

1. AndyL says:

I’m sure he chose the C because on the C the engine nacelles are roughly level with the saucer.

On Enterprise D the nacelles are significantly below the plane of the saucer, and wouldn’t really work as a table.

2. Ogre says:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. David Davidson says:

Nerd status: Revoked

2. Cellest says:

How much is this? My father would loooooovvvvve this!!

3. MysticX says:

This would have gone great with my Borg cube ottoman and Deep Space 9 end table.

4. Dennis says:

Note the Bat ‘leth shaped stand

1. dentderpwood says:

5. Kim says:

Brilliant. Really, truly awesome.

6. Rose says:

I can’t tell you how loud and high-pitched I squealed when I saw this. Genius!!! \\//_

7. これ、お好きな人は「いいね」でしょうが、知らない人には、なんの形なのかも分からないかも。

私はちょっとだけお好きな人です。
    こんなコーヒーテーブルがあったら、ちょっとテンション上がると思います。

8. [...] The second is this Star Trek Enterprise coffee table, Via Make [...]

9. IPcurious says:

I have to wonder what are the IP implications of this?

1. Sean Ragan says:

I’d bet considerable sums he’s technically violated their IP with this. But I’m also betting that neither he, nor they, really cares, and neither ever will unless he starts churning them out by the dozen. If he were a company in business selling Enterprise tables, it might make sense to get all lawyer-y, but a lone fan / craftsperson making these by hand? Suing such people is lousy PR.

10. anon says:

You Star Wars nerd ruin everything.

11. fischfail says:

Reblogged this on Fisch Fail, INC. and commented:
    Bad to the ass!

12. David Yocum says:

Sure looks like the NCC 1701-C to me.

13. Jeff DeWitt says:

Very cool… and I see you can get one of your very own for only $3100!

14. my name is Barry Shields and I want to thank everyone for all the great comments and to let you know that Rod Roddenberry and George Takei commented on how impressed they were and congratulated me on it and they posted it on their facebook pages. Once again thanks.

barryshields.com

15. [...] Star Trek NCC-1701-C Coffee Table [...]

16. [...] Star Trek NCC-1701-C Coffee Table [...]

17. Nicole says:

soo awesome! Moving out to an apartment in a month, how much does this cost?? I would LOVE one!

18. [...] Star Trek NCC-1701-C Coffee Table [...]

19. [...] Star Trek Enterprise NCC 1701-C Coffee Table [...]

20. [...] woodworker Barry Shields‘ Star Trek Enterprise NCC 1701-C Coffee Table was one of the most-trafficked posts on this site in 2012, and was published as Made in Sector [...]