To mark the passing of Hans R. Camenzind (designer of the 555 timer chip), MAKE reader Jim Frize freeformed this lovely little oscillating circuit as a solemn tribute.

More:

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Jim Frize says:

Thanks Gareth, much apreciated.

2. Bonus! What a great way to visualize how the standard astable mode works!

3. Augur says:

It would be a truly epic memorial for thousands (dare I say millions) of these to be made by diy’s worldwide… I don’t suppose Gareth Branwyn would consider posting the circuit? (Yeah, I can figure it out, but I would still appreciate a circuit diagram….) Or creating an Instructable on http://www.instructables.com?

1. Augur says:

2. Augur says:

Jim. Thanks so much for the schematic. Would you mind if I post it on Facebook and http://www.instructables.com? I will be sure to prominently ID you as the designer… I think it would be wicked cool to see this go “viral.” I’m going to mount a solar powered one in a jar on a base with appropriate label (etched brass maybe). “Hans R. Camenzind (1934-2012), designer of the 555 chip, (555 memorial design by Jim Frize)”

1. Augur says:

Hmmmm…. Maybe encapsulate in clear expoxy….

2. Jim Frize says:

Sure no problem, glad you like the circuit. Send me a link of your post/s too so I can check it out (jim@sonodrome.co.uk)

1. Augur says:

Thanks… and Will Do… and thank you for thinking up such a nifty memorial…

3. Gareth Branwyn says:

We’d love it if you posted this to Make: Projects (makeprojects.com). I was thinking about driving a “campaign” to have a bunch of these memorial circuits made. If you put it up in M:P, we can promote it through all of our channels. Should get a lot of interest/attention.

1. Augur says:

Will do…

4. sparky3489 says:

Schematic please.

1. Augur says:

Jim Frize (circuit designer) has mad this available to us:
      Here’s the circuit schematic: http://www.sonodrome.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hans.png

5. [...] response to 555 Memorial Circuit, Tommy Phillips says: Bonus! What a great way to visualize how the standard astable mode [...]