Today’s camera gear lets us do a lot more than just take snapshots. With advanced control, shooters are now finding ways to make incredible photo and video creations, and find clever new applications for their tools. We’re teaming up with Nikon Inc. to celebrate these mods and tweaks you do to take your camera to new heights. Let’s see your most innovative camera applications, and hear how you used your rig to pull it off.
Here are some examples to inspire your creativity:
Grand Prize Package:
Nikon 1 V3 Kit (includes 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM, Camera Grip GR-N1010, & Electronic Viewfinder DF-N1000) and 3 additional lenses
- 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6
- 1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2
- 1 NIKKOR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR
Runner-up Prizes (2):
Nikon 1 V3 Kit (includes 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM, Camera Grip GR-N1010, & Electronic Viewfinder DF-N1000)
Tuesday, April 15th, 2014
@ 10am PT
Entries accepted until:
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 @ 11:59pm PT
Public Voting Period:
Public Voting Starts:
Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 @ 12:00 pm PT
Public Voting ends:
Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 @ 11:59pm PT
- Creative use of technology
- The quality of the explanation to allow reproduction of the Process
Winners will be notified by email on or about Wednesday, May 28, 2014.
Maker media Make: The shot camera challenge
Important: Please read these Official Rules (“Rules”) before entering the Make: The Shot Camera Challenge (the “Challenge”). By submitting an Application (defined below), you agree that these Rules form a legally binding agreement between you and the Sponsor with respect to this Challenge and that you will be bound by these Rules. Your failure to comply with these Rules may result in disqualification of your Application. Sponsor’s decisions and interpretations of the Rules are final and binding in all matters related to the Challenge.
- SPONSOR: The Challenge is sponsored by Maker Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, CA 95472 (“Sponsor”).
- Eligibility: This Challenge is open to individuals, or groups comprised of individuals, who are 18 or older as of the time of the Application and residents of the United States. The following are not eligible to submit or participate in any group submitting an Application: (a) individuals under 18 years of age; (b) employees of Sponsor or its affiliates; (c) employees of any other company or individual involved with the design, production, or execution of the Challenge, or (d) the immediate families (spouse, parents and step-parents, siblings and step-siblings, and children and step-children) and household members (people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year) of any person listed in (b) or (c) of this paragraph. (All of the foregoing are “Eligibility Criteria.”) Any Application submitted in violation of the law of the jurisdiction in which the Applicant resides will be deemed not to meet the Eligibility Criteria.
- CHALLENGE DESCRIPTION: Eligible persons or groups who want to participate in the Challenge must submit an application using the form available at http://makezine.com/make-the-shot-camera-challenge/ (“Application”). In the Application, prospective participants in the Challenge (“Applicants,” or “You”) will provide photos, videos, 3D images, or other camera-generated work they have produced (“Work”), and explain the process of creating it, including external materials used and steps undertaken (“Process”). All eligible Applications (not including information identifying the Applicant) will be posted on makezine.com for public voting to select the top five (5) entries based on (1) originality, (2) creative use of technology, and (3) the quality of the explanation to allow reproduction of the Process (the three items together are the “Judging Criteria”). Sponsor will review the top five Applications and select the winner and two runners-up, using the Judging Criteria. One (1) winner will receive a Nikon, Inc. 1 V3 Kit (includes 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM, Camera Grip GR-N1010, & Electronic Viewfinder DF-N1000) with three (3) lenses (1 NIKKOR VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 lens & 1 NIKKOR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR & one NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2 lens) and two (2) runners-up will each receive a Nikon, Inc. 1 V3 Kit (includes EVF & Grip). (Only one prize will be awarded to any group Applicant that wins.)
- ENTRY PERIOD: The period for submission of Applications opens at 10:01am. PDT on Tuesday, April 15, 2014, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PDT on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 (“Entry Period”). Entries received before the Entry Period will not be considered unless they are re-submitted during the Entry Period. Entries received after the Entry Period will not be considered.
- ENTRY DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted online at http://makezine.com/make-the-shot-camera-challenge/. Each Application must include: (a) an entry form, including name, email address, and phone number; (b) up to 1 photo, 3D, and/or video images of the Work; (c) a description of the Process, using words and/or visual images, (d) if submitted by a group, an identification of all persons in the group and a certification that each of them meets the Eligibility Criteria, and (e) if submitted by an individual, an identification of the individual and a certification that the individual meets the Eligibility Criteria. Images must be in .jpg or .jpeg formats, and video must be submitted as an embedded link. Only one Application may be submitted by each group or individual. Applications will not be returned. KEEP A COPY OF EACH ELEMENT OF YOUR APPLICATION.
- JUDGING AND SELECTION OF WINNER AND RUNNERS-UP: Each eligible Application (not including information identifying the Applicant) will be posted on http://makezine.com/make-the-shot-camera-challenge/ for public voting. Public voting will begin on May 14, 2014, at 12:00 noon Pacific Time and will end on May 20, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (“Public Voting Period”). During the Public Voting Period, makezine.com visitors will be able to vote for the Application they think best meets the Judging Criteria. Voting is limited to one (1) vote per email address per day during the Public Voting Period. Any use of robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like voting methods will void all such votes. Any attempt by Applicants and/or their families or friends to vote more than the authorized number of times by using multiple email addresses, paying or retaining third parties for the purposes of voting, and/or any other fraudulent mechanism, in order to cast multiple votes will result in disqualification of all such votes and may result in disqualification of the Applicant for whom the improper votes were received if Sponsor determines that the Applicant was involved in any way in the perpetration of such fraud. At the end of the Public Voting Period, the five (5) Applicants receiving the top five (5) number of votes will be deemed the finalists, which will then be judged by a panel of Sponsor judges, using the Judging Criteria. Sponsor will select a winner and two runners-up.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION: The winner and runners-up will be notified by Wednesday, May 28, 2014, subject to verification of compliance with the Eligibility Criteria. Sponsor is not responsible for any change of an Applicant’s email address or other contact information. If any notification or Challenge-related communication is rejected, faulty, returned as undeliverable; if the potential winner or runner-up does not respond according to the notifications or Sponsor’s instructions; if the winner or runner-up fails to comply with these Rules; or if a potential winner or runner-up cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made by Sponsor (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), that winner or runner-up may be disqualified and an alternate winner or runner-up may be selected by Sponsor. In the event that a potential winner or runner-up is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate Applicant even if the disqualified potential winner’s or runner-up’s name may have been announced.
- WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT: The winner and runners-up will be announced via the Make: blog at makezine.com by Friday, May 30, 2014.
- PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize and two (2) runner-up prizes, provided by Nikon, Inc. (“Prize Provider”), will be awarded. The Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) Nikon, Inc. 1 V3 digital camera kit, having an approximate retail value (“ARV”) of $1,199.95; plus one (1) 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 lens, having an ARV of $999.95; plus one (1) 1 NIKKOR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6 VR lens, having an ARV of $549.95; plus one (1) 1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2 lens, having an ARV of $899.95. (Total Grand Prize ARV: $3,649.80). The runners-up will each receive one (1) Nikon, Inc. 1 V3 digital camera kit, having an ARV of $1,199.95. Only one prize will be awarded to any group Applicant. Except for Prize Provider’s one year limited warranty included with the prizes, the prizes are being provided “as-is” and Prize Provider makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, regarding the prizes, including but not limited to condition, performance, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
- TAXES: The winning Applicants will be responsible for payment of taxes on the ARV of the prize they receive under the tax laws of the jurisdiction in which they live. Sponsor will file a 1099 form (or equivalent if the winner is a foreign resident) with the appropriate authorities.
- RIGHTS IN SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS AND THEIR CONTENTS: All Applications will become the sole property of Sponsor and Prize Provider. By submitting an Application, each Applicant grants to Sponsor and Prize Provider a worldwide, sublicensable, perpetual right and license to reproduce, publish, modify, create derivative works of, create prototypes of, and display the Application, the Work, the Process, and their contents, including any images, videos, drawings, ideas, text, designs and descriptions, for any and all editorial purposes, including the illustration, promotion, and creation of projects in Make: magazine, on www.makezine.com, social media platforms, and in or on any other platform in which Sponsor or Prize Provider participates. You acknowledge and agree that Sponsor and Prize Provider shall each have an absolute right and permission to publish, post, edit, adapt, display, and otherwise use the content of and elements embodied in the Application in any form, in any manner, in perpetuity, and in any and all media (whether now known or hereafter devised) without compensation of any kind to You.
- CERTIFICATION OF ORIGINALITY OF WORK AND PROCESS; INDEMNIFICATION: By submitting an Application, You warrant and represent that: (1) the Work is your original Work, (2) no other person or entity other than those disclosed in the Application has any right to the Work, the Process, or any component of the Application, and (3) your submission of the Application, the Work, and the Process does not breach or violate any obligation, contractual or otherwise, that You have to any third party. You hereby agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor and Prize Provider, and each of them, from and against any claim that arises from your breach of any of the foregoing representations.
- NO SPONSOR OR PRIZE PROVIDER LIABILITY. By submitting an Application, You agree that your Application is voluntary and made without restriction, will not place Sponsor or Prize Provider under any obligation, and that Sponsor and Prize Provider are free to disclose the ideas contained in the Application on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to You. You acknowledge that, by accepting your Application, neither Sponsor nor Prize Provider waives any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor or Prize Provider, or developed by their respective employees, or obtained from sources other than You. You acknowledge and agree that nothing in these Rules will require Sponsor or Prize Provider to use the Application in part or in whole or to include the Application in any Sponsor or Prize Provider property, including, without limitation, any web site or any other online or offline property. You acknowledge and agree that the relationship between You and Sponsor and between You and Prize Provider is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that your decision to submit your Application for purposes of the Challenge does not place Sponsor or Prize Provider in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Challenge, other than as set forth in these Rules. You acknowledge and agree that neither Sponsor nor Prize Provider has, nor will have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to your Application, the Work, or the Process.
- GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE. BY SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION, YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO RECOVER ANY DAMAGES OR PROVISIONAL RELIEF FROM SPONSOR OR PRIZE PROVIDER IN CONNECTION WITH THE CHALLENGE. IN NO EVENT SHALL PRIZE PROVIDER OR SPONSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THE CHALLENGE, THE PRIZES, OR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. By entering the Challenge, submitting an Application, and/or accepting a prize, you agree to release Sponsor and Prize Provider from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with: (1) the Challenge, or (2) acceptance or awarding of any prize, (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses, and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional). This release covers any and all claims, whether under a theory of contract, warranty, tort (including negligence, whether active, passive, or imputed), strict liability, product liability, contribution, or any other theory.
- PUBLICITY RELEASE. Except where prohibited by law, by submitting an Application, you authorize Sponsor and Prize Provider and their respective agents to use your name, likeness, and all Application submission materials, the Work, the Process, and/or prize information, in any and all media without territorial or time limitation, for any advertising, promotional, or any other purpose without further compensation to, or permission from you.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Sponsor’s failure to or decision not to enforce any provision in these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. In the event there is an alleged or actual ambiguity, discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Challenge-related materials and/or these Rules (including any alleged discrepancy or inconsistency in these Rules), it will be resolved in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Applicants waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Challenge or these Rules. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Rules will otherwise remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
- PROBLEMS WITH RUNNING CHALLENGE; NO TAMPERING. Any attempt to tamper with the Challenge site, misuse the voting process, or to circumvent these Rules will invalidate the Application. If for any reason the Challenge is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Challenge, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Applicant who tampers with the entry or voting process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Challenge and/or to judge entries from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to such action. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Challenge. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN APPLICANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CHALLENGE IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH APPLICANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- GOVERNING LAW: The Challenge and any dispute arising under or related thereto (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the State of California, without reference to its conflicts of law principles. Any legal actions, suits or proceedings related to this Challenge (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in San Francisco, California and each Applicant accepts and submits to the personal jurisdiction of these California courts with respect to any legal actions, suits or proceedings arising out of or related to this Challenge.