Make: Live episode 18 featured makers in MAKE v28, the toys & games issue! Onyx Ashanti performs and talks Xbees and sensors, and Michael Colombo explains his reflective improvement to flashlight tag. David Harris made Charlie’s bear (above), originally designed for his nephew with cerebral palsy. It’s a location aware plush toy with an embedded RFID reader, speaker, Arduino and wave shield to play sounds when it interacts with objects. Learn about how David made this fun toy and how Charlie himself has reacted to the bear.
Electronic musician Onyx Ashanti performs at Maker Faire NY and joins us on video chat from Berlin to discuss his innovative (and open source) Beatjazz controllers for live performance. Find out how his pressure sensor mouthpiece works in conjunction with his accelerometer and FSR hand controllers and see him perform. Support the Beatjazz controllers funding campaign!
Michael Colombo (in collaboration with Eszter Ozsvald) came up with a new variation on flashlight tag that uses retroreflective letters on armbands. Find out about Mike’s experience running the game (and coming up with new ones) with some summer campers.
- Shrinkify your Arduino projects with Matt’s ATTiny video
- UIUC’s Unit One residency program
- Maker Shed deal: check out with code MAKELIVE2 for 20% off the Video Game Shield, Pendulum Challenge, and Mignonette Kit through October 25, 2011
- Halloween skull truffles on Make: Projects
- New MAKE podcast hub on iTunes
- Science Hack Day
- Maker Mailbag! Bertrand Le Roy and Fabien Royer’s PIX-6T4 DIY Game Console
- v28 projects in Make: Projects: Coffee Table MAME Console, Bubble Machine, Water Leak Detector, and Plant Light Stand
- Andrew Salomone’s Recursive Cosby Sweater video on CRAFT
- Handcar Regatta in Santa Rosa, CA
- Digi-Key prizes: Digital multimeter and some electronics supplies like wires, motors, resistors, and a solderless breadboard.
Want to show us your project? Upload a video or photos and send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make: Live 19: Halloween Party
Wednesday October 26th, 9pm ET/6pm PT
Watch at makezine.com/live or on UStream
Please join us in the UStream chat or mark tweets with #makelive to interact live with the show.