I routinely wear a derby hat around town. So when the Halloween season approaches, I feel the need to wear a hat that really makes a statement. I decided to combine my fondness for old-style hats with my love of mechanical automata. The result is this trick top hat. A little monster hides insides the hat and springs out of the top whenever I squeeze a hidden hand lever.
Surprise Top Hat
Spook your friends with this monster-popping trick hat!
- Ribbon (1)
- Costume coachman's hats (2)
- Finger puppet, rubber (1)
- Screws, small, with washers (1)
- Aluminum cable sleeve (1) for making a loop at the end of a cable
- PVC pipe (5)
- Bicycle brake system, brake lever, cable housing, and cable (1)
- Epoxy (1)
- Screw eye (1)
- Hinges, small (1)
- Metal L brackets (1)
- Springs, about 3' long (2) length will depend on your hat
- Plywood, 1/2', about 8'x8' (1)
- Hobby knife
- Hot glue gun
I am an artist who creates contemporary wood automata with humorous and magical themes. I write on the subject for blogs, magazines, and books. I also consult on various mechanical and automaton-related things.