Calling all Adventure and Gadget enthusiasts!
MAKE is teaming up with the Penguin Group to present The Alex Rider Dream Gadget Contest!
All of you adventure-seekers and gadget lovers out there are invited to join in. If you were Alex Rider, what gadget would you want in the upcoming adventure "Crocodile Tears"? Design your dream Alex Rider gadget, inspired by an everyday object (i.e. an iPod, toothpaste, a pen). The winning gadget will be built right here at the MAKE Labs. Send us a schematic of what your gadget is made from and how it works. (Your schematic can be a diagram, a drawing or an explanation by you). Remember that the winning gadget will be inspired by an everyday object that one could realistically build (as much as we wish we could create a pair of scissors that could fly us to the moon)! The contest begins on November 17, 2009 and will end at 11:59:59 p.m. PST on December 22, 2009
How to EnterTo enter in the Alex Rider Dream Gadget Contest, click on the "Enter Here" link below. The contest is open to entrants ages 8-18. If you are under 14 years old, you will need to provide your parent/guardian's email address so they can provide consent for you to enter the contest. The entry form will ask for a description of your dream gadget, as well as a Flickr URL that links to a schematic (diagram, drawing, photo, etc). As well as filling out the form, we ask you to post any schematic images to the Alex Rider Flickr Group
What are you waiting for, Enter Here!
Grand Prize (one winner):
- A signed collection of hardcover Alex Rider novels
- iPod nano with a personalized message from author Anthony Horowitz
- A backpack full of goodies and gadgets from the Maker Shed
- The opportunity to have the winner's dream gadget produced in MAKE Labs and featured on Make: Online
Runner-Up Prize (two winners):
- A signed hardcover copy of Crocodile Tears
- An Alex Rider t-shirt
This promotion is intended for play and participation in the 50 United States (excluding Maine) and the District of Columbia only and shall be construed and evaluated according to the laws of the United States. Please do not participate if you are not a legal resident of one of the 50 United States (excluding Maine) or the District of Columbia and located in the United States at the time of entry.
Important: Please read these rules before entering the Alex Rider Gadget Contest on MAKE (the "Contest") sponsored by MAKE and Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (the "Sponsors"). By filling out an online entry form, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. CONTEST OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, EXCEPT RESIDENTS OF MAINE ARE NOT ELIGIBLE, AGE 8-18, AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. ENTRANTS AGE 8-13 MUST PROVIDE PRIOR PARENAL PERMISSION TO ENTER. VOID IN MAINE, OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Eligibility: The Alex Rider Gadget Contest on MAKE is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (except residents of Maine are not eligible) who are between the ages of 8 and 18, at the time of entry. Children ages 8-13 will need to provide prior parental permission in order to be eligible. Employees, contractors, directors and officers of MAKE, Penguin Group (USA) Inc., their respective parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, sales representatives, retailers, and advertising, promotion and judging agencies and all other service agencies involved with the Contest, and members of the immediate family (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouse) and household of each such employee are not eligible to participate. Void in Maine, outside the United States and where prohibited by law. Contest is subject to federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Contest Entry Requirements: Projects must be in English. Design your dream Alex Rider gadget, inspired by an everyday object (i.e. an iPod, toothpaste, a pen). You may submit a diagram, drawing or essay explanation of your gadget. Diagrams and drawings must be submitted to the Contest Flickr Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/alexridercontest/) in one of the accepted file formats and per the size limits which can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/help/photos. Essay explanations must be typed and at least 10 words and no more than 500 words. Remember that the winning gadget will be inspired by an everyday object that one could realistically build. Entries cannot: (a) be sexually explicit or suggestive, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or pornographic, or contain nudity; (b) promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; (c) be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group; (d) defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sponsors or their products, or other people, products or companies; (e) contain trademarks, logos or trade dress owned by others, or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses; (f) contain copyrighted materials owned by others (including photographs, sculptures, paintings and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media or musical "samples" other than the musical tracks provided) without permission; (g) contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, other than you, without permission from the third-party or a parent or legal guardian if the third-party is a minor; (h) communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsors wish to associate; and (i) cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any law. Projects: must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been published previously; must not infringe third-party rights, and must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent). Sponsors reserve the right to waive the Contest entry requirements set forth herein in its reasonable discretion. Sponsors reserve the right, in their reasonable discretion, during or upon completion of the Contest Period, to request that any entrant resubmit his or her Entry that fails to comply with the Contest entry requirements prior to any judging period.
- Winner Selection: All Projects will be judged by a qualified panel of 4 judges from the MAKE Labs based on the following criteria, weighted as indicated:
- Creativity of Idea - 50%
- Cool Factor: General appeal of gadget design and function - 30%
- Technical Realism: A gadget that one could realistically build - 20%
- Winner Notification: Potential winners will be notified by email on or about January 12, 2010. Sponsors are not responsible for any change of entrantsí mailing address, e-mail address and/or telephone number. Potential winners are subject to verification, including verification of age. If a potential winner is found not to be eligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, or if prize notification or any prize is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner will be disqualified. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, any prize will be forfeited, even if the disqualified potential winnerís name may have been publicly announced. Winners may be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release, within 15 days of attempted notification or prize may be forfeited. Prizes will be awarded to minorís parent or legal guardian who must sign and return all required documents.
Grand Prize (1): The Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) signed collection of hardcover Alex Rider novels, approximate retail value ("ARV") $144.00; one (1) iPod nano with a personalized message from author Anthony Horowitz, ARV $150.00; one (1) backpack with various gadgets by MAKE, ARV $200.00; and the opportunity to have the winnerís Project produced in MAKE Labs and featured on Makezine.com, subject to MAKE's sole creative discretion.
Runner-Up Prize (2): Each Runner-Up will receive one (1) Alex Rider T-shirt, ARV $10.00 and one (1) signed copy of Crocodile Tears, ARV $18.00.
Total ARV of all prizes: $550.00. ARV is as of the date of printing of these Official Rules. The difference in value of prize as stated herein and value at time of prize notification, if any, will not be awarded.
Prizes are not transferable. No cash redemptions. No substitutions or exchanges of the prize will be permitted, except that Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize that becomes unavailable. The prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). ACCEPTANCE OR USE OF PRIZE IS AT THE WINNER'S OWN RISK. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are subject to the respective manufacturers' terms therefore, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. Limit one (1) prize per person/household/email address. All taxes are the sole responsibility of winner.
- General Conditions: BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, ENTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HIS/HER ENTRY MAY BE POSTED ON THE WEB BY SPONSORS, IN SPONSORSí DISCRETION. By submitting an Entry, you and your parent or legal guardian, if applicable, hereby warrant and represent that your Entry conforms to the Contest Entry Requirements set forth herein and grant Sponsors and their agents the irrevocable and perpetual nonexclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works from, promote, and provide access to any such Entry, in all media throughout the world, and without consideration to you. By submitting an Entry, you, and your parent or legal guardian if applicable, represent and warrant: that you are the sole owner of all rights in and to the materials that constitute your Entry; that your Entry is your original work; your Entry has not won previous awards; that your Entry does not violate laws prohibiting copyright infringement, defamation, misuse of trade secrets, invasion of privacy, or other laws; and that use of your Entry and Project by Sponsors or Contest Parties (as defined in Section 8), including through web posting and use on blogs, will not infringe on the rights of any third parties. Any such entrant will indemnify and hold harmless Sponsors and Contest Parties from any claims to the contrary. By submitting an Entry, you agree that your submission is gratuitous and made without restriction, and will not place Sponsors under any obligation, that Sponsors are free to disclose or otherwise disclose the ideas contained in the Entry on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to you. You and your parent or legal guardian if applicable, acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, Sponsors do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsors, or developed by their employees, or obtained from sources other than you. By accepting a prize, the winner, and winnerís parent or legal guardian if applicable, agree that winnerís Entry will be deemed a Work Made For Hire under the Copyright laws of the United States, but if it cannot be so deemed, then the winner, and winnerís parent or legal guardian, irrevocably assign and transfer to Sponsors all of his/her right, title and interest in and to his/her video, including all but not limited to all copyright and trademark and patent rights which he or she may have, in the United States and worldwide, therein, for consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged. Winner, and his/her parent or legal guardian if applicable, hereby waive in favor of Sponsors, all rights of "Droit Moral" or "Moral Rights of Authors" or any similar rights or principles of law that winner may now or later have to their Entry. Sponsors reserve the right to alter, change or modify the winning Entry, in its sole discretion. Upon request of Sponsors, winner, and winnerís parent or legal guardian if applicable, shall execute and deliver such additional instrument of assignment, as may be solely deemed by Sponsors, reasonably necessary to establish the ownership of record of the right, title and interest in and to the Entry and of the copyrights transferred and "Moral Rights of Authors" waived under these Official Rules. Should Sponsors fail to request the said assignment as stated, that shall not be deemed a waiver of Sponsorsí rights and Sponsors may at a later time request the assignment. You, and your parent or legal guardian if applicable, agree to confirm in writing your grant of rights to Sponsors and/or the above warranties as a condition to receiving a prize in the event you are eligible to receive a prize.
Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use winners' names, likenesses, contest submission materials, and/or prize information, in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations, for any advertising, promotional, or any other purpose related to the Contest or to use of the entry by Sponsors or their agents, without further compensation to, or permission from, the winners.
If you think any Entry infringes your intellectual property rights, click here if you wish to report it http://oreilly.com/oreilly/copyright.csp.
- Limitation of Liability: Entrants who violate these Official Rules, tamper with the operation of the Contest, or engage in any conduct that is detrimental to Sponsors, the Contest, or any other entrant (as determined in Sponsors' sole discretion) are subject to disqualification. Sponsors and any of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees, and agencies ("Contest Parties") will not be responsible for (1) any late, lost, or misrouted entries or errors in transmission; (2) any disruptions to Internet connection, injuries, losses, or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors; or (3) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Contest Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind and shall not be liable for failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled, or delayed electronic communications utilized in this Contest that may limit the ability to participate in the Contest. If for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsors shall have the right, at their sole discretion, to modify and/or cancel the Contest. By entering the Contest or accepting a prize, Entrants and Entrant's parent or legal guardian agree: (a) to release Sponsors and Contest Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize or Sponsors' use of Entry in any manner (including without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses, and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional) whether under a theory of contract, warranty, tort (including negligence, whether active, passive, or imputed), strict liability, product liability, contribution, or any other theory; (b) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs.
- Governing Law: The Contest will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the United States. By entering, entrants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, participantís rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California. By entering, entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts for San Francisco, California.
- Winners List: For a list of Winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Maker Media Division (MAKE) of O'Reilly Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, CA 95472, Attention: Alex Rider Gadget Contest. Requests must be received by June 11, 2010.
- Sponsors: Maker Media Division (MAKE) of OíReilly Media, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Hwy North, Sebastopol, CA 95472. Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 345 Hudson Street, New York, NY, 10014.
The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2009 OíReilly Media, Inc.
The MAKE logo is a registered trademark of OíReilly Media, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.