This project specifies materials for making 2 tees, because I like to do double-tee batting drills that help improve my players’ swing technique.
Version 1 of this tee had a 24"-long PVC pipe. I hit off it for a while, and it proved to be relatively stable. As for durability, I was asked whether the PVC needed to be shorter to avoid being broken by an errant bat, so I tested it out. A good whack shattered the top of the tee. The “repair” was pretty easy. I sawed off the broken end and discovered that Version 2 worked just as well with a 13"-long pipe, with less chance of it being struck. It’s probably more stable too, due to the lower center of gravity. That’s the nice thing about a DIY project — if you do break the PVC pipe, you can easily replace it at negligible cost instead of buying a new tee.
I used V1 and V2 for almost all my hitting sessions last baseball season and for several games, and V2 seems plenty durable with the shortened PVC. The disposer hose has plenty of give so the tee doesn’t tip over every time you knock it.
This project first appeared in MAKE Volume 35, page138.