Sponsored by TakePart, MAKE & CRAFT
Show us your Plastic Upcycle Projects!
Contest DescriptionOur oceans today are faced with an increasing amount of plastic pollution. Each year, a million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals and turtles die by ingesting or getting tangled in floating trash. A key to cutting pollution is reducing plastic consumption. TakePart and Participant Media are teaming up with MAKE and CRAFT to present the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest inspired by the Disneynature and Participant Media film Oceans. While we encourage recycling plastic so it doesn’t end up in our beautiful oceans, you can defend the environment even more by upcycling or reusing plastics to make something new. Use your creativity to protect our oceans and share your ideas using upcycled plastics by entering the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest.
This Contest starts on April 15, 2010 and runs through June 6, 2010.
How To EnterTo enter in the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest, click on the "Enter Here" link below. As well as filling out the form, we ask you to post any project photos and documentation to the Contest Flickr Group
What are you waiting for, Enter Here!
Don't miss your chance to win an iPad!
Contest NewsletterThe Contest newsletter will spotlight plastic upcycle projects as inspiration for readers. It will also provide participants with background information about the perils of our oceans, and advice on how to take action. There will be 4 newsletters total throughout the Contest Period - sign up below! Also, you can choose to receive more information from TakePart and sign up for our other newsletters.
No purchase necessary to enter or to win. A purchase will not increase your chance of winning. Contest open only to legal residents of the 50 united states and district of columbia who are either of the age of majority in their state of residence at the time of entry (19 or older in AL and NE, 18 or older in all other states). Void outside the United States and where otherwise prohibited by law.
Important: Please read these rules before entering the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest (the "Contest") sponsored by O’Reilly Media, Inc. (MAKE & CRAFT) and TakePart, LLC (collectively the “Sponsors”). By submitting the Contest Entry Form (as defined below), you agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
Official Rules: Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest
1. How to Enter: During the Contest Period, participants are invited to create projects that incorporate the upcycling of plastic. To enter the Contest, please visit the Contest landing page http://makezine.com/savemyoceans and sign up for the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest Newsletter. This newsletter will spotlight plastic upcycle projects as inspiration for readers. It will also provide participants with background information about the perils of our oceans, and advice on how to take action. Participants will stay informed via this newsletter, and will also receive the link to the final Contest entry web form (“Contest Entry Form”), which they will need to fill out to officially enter their finished project into the Contest. Project photos referenced in the Contest Entry Form should be submitted to the contest Flickr group pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/savemyoceans/).
Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. PDT on April 15, 2010 and will end at 11:59 p.m. PDT on June 6, 2010 (the “Contest Period”).
By signing up for the Save My Oceans Upcycle Contest Newsletter and/or by submitting the Contest Entry Form, participants grant Sponsors and their agents the irrevocable and perpetual nonexclusive right to print, publish, reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works from, promote, and provide access to any such Contest Entry Form (including any materials submitted in connection with the Contest, including without limitation projects and documentation), in all media throughout the world, and without consideration to participants. Projects: must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been published previously; must not infringe third-party rights, and must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent). By submitting a Contest Entry Form, you represent and warrant: that you are the sole owner of all rights in and to the materials that constitute your entry; that your entry is your original work; and that your entry does not violate laws prohibiting copyright infringement, defamation, misuse of trade secrets, invasion of privacy, or other laws. You agree to confirm in writing your grant of rights to Sponsors and/or the above warranties as a condition to receiving a prize in the event you are eligible to receive a prize.
2. Winners Selection: The Top 5 projects (including the Grand Prize winner) will be selected by a qualified panel of 4 judges selected by MAKE/CRAFT based upon the following judging criteria:
- 50% Creativity and Originality of the project
- 30% Amount of plastic re-use
- 20% Practicality of the final output
In the event of a tie, tie-breaker will be based upon the highest score in the first judging criteria, continuing thereafter to each judging criteria in order, as needed, to break the tie. The decisions of the panel will be issued no later than June 21, 2010, and will be final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Limit one prize per household.
3. Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive the following:
- iPad 32GB with case.
- Filled with resources and videos from the Save My Oceans campaign.
- Also featuring some of Participant Media’s favorite movies from over the years, including Academy-Award winning The Cove, Food, Inc., and An Inconvenient Truth. Total estimated retail value of Grand Prize is $638.
- Limited-edition Save My Oceans poster (27”x39”), designed by Shepard Fairey.
- DayPack and Sling from Chico Bags.
- A 5-pack of Participant Media’s favorite films
- “Oceans: The Threat to our Seas and What You Can Do To Turn the Tide” (edited by John Bowermaster) – official book for the film campaign.
- Project featured on www.savemyoceans.com
Estimated total value of all prizes: US $1,812.65. All prizes amounts are in US dollars. All prizes will be awarded, provided they are properly claimed.
4. Winner Notification: Each prize winner will be notified by email by June 21, 2010. Sponsors are not responsible for any change of participant’s email address. Any prize or prize notification returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within seven (7) days after notification of prize award will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate prize winner. Prizes are not transferable. No cash redemptions. No substitutions or exchanges of the prize will be permitted, except that Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize that becomes unavailable. The prizes are awarded "as is" and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Acceptance or use of prize is at the winner's own risk. Prize winners may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity, liability and other release within seven (7) days of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate prizewinner will be selected.
5. Limitation of Liability. Sponsors and any of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees, and agencies will not be responsible for (1) any late, lost, or misrouted entries or errors in transmission; (2) any disruptions to Internet connection, injuries, losses, or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsors; or (3) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsors and their agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind and shall not be liable for failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled, or delayed electronic communications utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to participate in the Contest. If for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsors shall have the right, at their sole discretion, to modify and/or cancel the Contest.
6. Eligibility: Contest open to legal residents of the continental United States who are of the age of majority in their state of residence (19 or older in AL and NE, 18 or older in all other states) at the time of entry. Employees of Sponsors their subsidiaries, divisions, and related companies, and their respective agencies and agents and immediate family members of such are not eligible.
7. Taxes. All federal, state, and local taxes are the responsibility of the Prize Winners.
8. Liability Release. By participating in the Contest or accepting a prize, participants release Sponsors and any of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agencies (collectively, the "released parties") from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses, and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional) whether under a theory of contract, warranty, tort (including negligence, whether active, passive, or imputed), strict liability, product liability, contribution, or any other theory.
9. Winners Permission. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use winner's name, likeness, Contest submission materials, and/or prize information, without limitation, for any advertising, promotional, or any other purpose related to the Contest or to use of the entry by Sponsors or their agents, without further compensation to, or permission from, the Prize winner(s).
10. Winner's List. A list of Prize winners will be available at http://makezine.com/savemyoceans/ for at least 6 months after all prizes have been awarded.
11. Governing Law. The Contest will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the United States. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, tamper with the operation of the Contest, or engage in any conduct that is detrimental to Sponsors, the Contest, or any other participant (as determined in Sponsors’ sole discretion) are subject to disqualification. By participating in the Contest participants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, participant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California. Participants further consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in San Francisco, California.
12. Sponsors’ address:
- O’Reilly Media, Inc. (MAKE/CRAFT), 1005 Gravenstein Hwy N., Sebastopol, CA 95472.
- TakePart, LLC, 335 N. Maple Dr. #245, Beverly Hills, CA 90210.
The Contest and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2010 O’Reilly Media, Inc.
The MAKE and CRAFT logos are a registered trademark of O’Reilly Media, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.