A Bed that Makes Itself

Craft & Design
A Bed that Makes Itself

Spanish furniture company OHEA has created a bed that unsullies itself automatically. Using two rollers at the foot of the bed, the covers are smooth out as the pillows levitate to accommodate the oncoming covers. Once done, they lower back down into position.

The entire process takes about 50 seconds. While it may be a trifle frivolous the design and mechanics behind it are something to behold.

[via PSFK]

18 thoughts on “A Bed that Makes Itself

1. Sima says:

I don’t care if it’s frivolous. I still want one!

2. jamesbx says:

I believe Robert McCloskey’s, Homer Price came up with this idea first (1943).

3. Cory says:

Where’s the robot to pick the covers up off the ground? They obviously haven’t seen how I sleep!!

4. wef says:

Also a good way to get your kids out of bed in the morning, at the touch of a button.

5. World’s Strangest | Self-Making Bed says:

[…] Link -via Make […]

6. ameyring says:

The tricky thing with pillows is people mash them and turn them to find a comfort position, not to mention dropping them on the floor and forgetting about it. For simple beds, great, but for my bed with three layers (thanks to my wife’s love of quilts), something more complex it needed!

7. MAKE | Your Comments says:

[…] the piece on the A Bed that Makes Itself, Cory remarks: Where’s the robot to pick the covers up off the ground? They obviously haven’t […]

8. joe says:

Like the idea.. however, this creates a tension on the sides (just like a hotel room), which I hate, and I end up pulling the cover out from between the mattress and boxspring. Great simplicity, wonder how safe it would be (IE someone sticks they’re hand in front of the arm)

9. 스스로 이불 개는 침대 | Make: Korea says:

Comments are closed.

Tagged

In addition to being an online editor for MAKE Magazine, Michael Colombo works in fabrication, electronics, sound design, music production and performance (Yes. All that.) In the past he has also been a childrens' educator and entertainer, and holds a Masters degree from NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program.

View more articles by Michael Colombo