There are kits you can purchase to help you extract DNA. Here’s an interesting way you can do it with ingredients right from your kitchen cupboard! Check out these detailed instructions on the ingredients you’ll need and how to get started with your own DNA experiments.
Strawberries, bacteria, humans–all living things have genes, and all of these genes are made of DNA. How do scientists take DNA out of a living thing? It’s not that hard–there are lots of ways to do it! You can follow the directions in the video above to get DNA out of a strawberry.
Other DNA projects @ MAKE:
- Make Talk Episode #11 with DIYBiologist Tito Jankowski – Link
- Extract DNA In Your Kitchen – Link
- DNA Hacking – Link
- HOW TO – Extract DNA from anything living – Link
- Art from your DNA – Link
- DIY DNA Explorer Kit – Link
- Coffee shop offers DNA testing – Link
- WEB2DNA – Convert your website into DNA art – Link
- New X PRIZE – A race to a better human genetic map – Link
In the Maker Shed: Genetics & DNA Kit
Join Make: Community Today