I’ve heard this workshop provides a good overview of home efficiency upgrades, including lots of ideas for DIY projects:
Austin Energy Green Buildingâ„¢ holds its one-day Green by Design workshop four times a year. Austinites preparing to build, buy, or remodel a home can learn how to improve energy and water efficiency, increase comfort, and reduce maintenance.The Green by Design Workshop is currently full.
The workshop will be held on Saturday, November 15, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at The Commons Center, JJ Pickle Research Campus at 10100 Burnet Road.
What You Will Learn
This workshop will give you an overview of the green building process. You’ll come away with a framework for making better design and building decisions, including:
- Assessing what your family needs in a home
- Choosing a designer and builder
- Selecting a lot or making the most of the one you have
- Increasing comfort and reducing utility bills
- Making smart material and appliance choices
- Developing a beautiful landscape that saves water, time, and money
- Creating a home that benefits your family and the planet
If you’re in Austin, registration and more info here. If you’re not, tell your local legislators that you’re leaving and taking the community’s creative class with you unless they start offering seminars and incentives better than those in the capital of the Lone Star state:)