I was just reading our post about the “hollow spy bolt” and ran across the government group with RSS feed that looks for stuff like this (cool job) – so it turns out mailing yourself money hidden inside brochures to get out of paying taxes hack doesn’t work via ANIMAL.
[he]… withdrew cash from his Swiss account and taped it to the inside pages of multiple brochures, careful to include just under $10,000 per brochure (staying under the federal reporting requirements). Packaging the cash-laden brochures in envelopes, he mailed each one at different times from different Swiss post offices to his Virginia residence.
It’s the “ICE team” that looks for things like this, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents.
ICE agents have discovered that cash – lots of it – can crop up in unexpected places before its illegal journey is intercepted. ICE has found the following and more in recent years:
- $176,320 packed inside the pant legs of an air traveler headed for Turkey
- $3 million hidden in a compartment of a bus headed for Mexico
- $515,000 in a false-bottom suitcase about to embark to Columbia
- $2.1 million concealed in a boat in Puerto Rico
- $147,921 strapped underneath the shirt of a woman headed to Mexico
- $186,000 rolled and concealed in cigarette packs destined for Turkey
“At ICE, we follow the money trail to identify, disrupt and dismantle the most complicated financial schemes and seize criminal assets,”…