RadioShack Canada closing

RadioShack Canada closing

Img413 1560
Not really a surprise – RadioShack is closing down in Canada, so if you’re looking for a deal, might be worth a visit… I poked around and it appears that tools and parts are up to 60% off.

“RadioShack Corporation will close its nine company-owned stores in Canada by the end of January 2007 as the company focuses its attention and resources on strengthening its core business in the U.S.”Link.

In the USA RadioShack isn’t really the place you go for parts any longer, each year the selection shrinks to make room (and $) for cell phones and iPod accessories – what stores are our Canadian makers using (online and physical)? “The Source” is the Circuit City purchased, then renamed version of RadioShack, those are still around, but I don’t think they carry parts.

Here are a few, post more in the comments…

Places to shop:

22 thoughts on “RadioShack Canada closing

  1. SeanCoates says:

    In Montreal (Pointe-Claire), there’s an excellent store near my house, called “Access Electronique” (formerly DDO Electronique). It’s owned by these folks:

    And it runs circles around the store formerly known as Radio Shack.

    Connectors, switches, weird surplus (100W, 10ohm resistors, anyone?), misc. anything–it’s the place to go. It’s dangerous to walk in there with pocket money (-:


  2. aplumb says:

    For small, one-of stuff here in Ottawa I usually drop by Active Electronics.

    For anything more involved, I usually use


  3. !sam! says:

    The source still has a few components, but its fairly limited. They do have soldering irons, solder suckers, crocodile clips etc..

    Im in Ottawa too, and Its Active Electronics and DigiKey for me too.

    I’ve browsed on looks good, but I haven’t ever purchased from them.

  4. briangood says:

    Fry’s Electronics in California and elsewhere in the West:

  5. SimpleSimon2 says:

    Radio Shack Canada turned into “The Source” which is actually decent for gadgets/cables/adapters but carry very few components (especially the smaller locations).

    The ‘new’ Radio Shack’s then appeared nearby to ‘The Source’ – they featured obnoxious follow you around the store script reading salespeople (on commission?) They were sort of like a small Future Shop (yuck)

    Locally I buy electronic components at ‘Sayal’


  6. Technofumble says:

    There’s RP Electronics in Vancouver:

    Since they carry virtually nothing I want (they carry a lot, just not what I use), it’s 90% DigiKey for me, with the other 10% spread between Spark Fun (8%) and other US companies (2%).

    I didn’t even realize that RadioShack was still over here in Canada – I was under the impression that Circuit City bought all their stores and renamed them to The Source. Some were missed in the acquisition?

  7. JPMartineau says:

    In Montréal (Cartierville) there’s a “La Source (The Source)” and they still carry some parts. The selection is bad and the prices are ridiculous, but they still carry basic parts.

  8. DeanW.Armstrong says:

    Jameco, if it’s in their normal catalog, is a quick and inexpensive source for me.

  9. DGary says:

    Radio Shack in the US hasn’t been doing very good either, getting damned hard to find one, they probably shouldn’t have tried to change their tactics and compete with the big boys like Best Buy or Circuit City, but stayed smaller and more like an electronics Ace Hardware.

  10. xSmurf says:

    As mentioned before Addisson (surplus) is the place in Montreal, if you have time to shop. We also have two Active store (new but lesser parts and usually expensive), there is also Abra which is sort of an in between (walkers and bikers beware, the location kinda sucks, specially in the winter, although there is a bus, it doesn’t pass very often – don’t ask I can’t recall). Otherwise myeah, Digikey, SparkFun :D and mouser…

  11. bluecrow says:

    In Vancouver besides rpelectronics, there is also and
    both are located on main street half a block of each other, they have good selection of electronics components and surplus. (pretty decent prices too).

Comments are closed.

Discuss this article with the rest of the community on our Discord server!

current: @adafruit - previous: MAKE, popular science, hackaday, engadget, fallon, braincraft ... howtoons, 2600...

View more articles by Phillip Torrone


Maker Faire Bay Area 2023 - Mare Island, CA

Escape to an island of imagination + innovation as Maker Faire Bay Area returns for its 15th iteration!

Buy Tickets today! SAVE 15% and lock-in your preferred date(s).