Who doesn’t love turning trash into treasure?
Pallets are typically found in warehouses for the compact-support and easy transport of goods. Anyone can pick up pallets possibly for free or less than a dollar. A family from Malaysia had the idea of connecting two pallets to create an interior sliding door.
“I’ve always wanted a barn door in my house. Since I am living in Malaysia where barn doors are practically non-existent, I’ve decided to make one.”
In only 6 simple steps people from all walks of life can create this trendy piece of home furnishing that will fit the thrift store budget.
- Dismantle the wooden pallets and arrange them based on door measurements (usually 2 pallets).
- Arrange planks vertically then secure them in place.
- Attach horizontal beams for support. Cut off excess wood until planks are flush.
- This step being most difficult for the Malaysian family will differ for everyone. Sanding. Pallets are rough and are in need of some TLC from the power tools.
- Attach two wheels of whatever size to the top of the door and the bottom. The top sliding track is held in place by any remaining boards from the pallets.
- Stain the wood and add additional spotlights for ambiance if desired.
Viola! A rustic and cozy custom door that you can create with the whole family! Kids will love to learn some basics of woodworking with this easy DIY project!