Cyclist Chic: Turn a Wooden Crate into a Cool Cargo Box

Bikes Home Paper Crafts Woodworking
Cyclist Chic: Turn a Wooden Crate into a Cool Cargo Box

makezine_webtheme3-wednesday

Our friends at Dark Rye, an online magazine from Whole Foods, have come up with a project for turning a wooden crate into a retro bike cargo box. It’s a simple, but useful bike mod. The project comes from Dark Rye’s latest “Future” issue. It’s a great read featuring forward-looking innovators in architecture, urban agriculture, energy production, and transportation.

[bs_slideshow]

20 thoughts on “Cyclist Chic: Turn a Wooden Crate into a Cool Cargo Box

1. Scott. says:

Cool idea. I’ve got one on my ’69 Schwinn, it’s not very sturdy, just a produce crate that came from a farmer’s market years ago. But it works well enough for what I need it for. I was maybe 14 when I got the idea for it. My dad cut down the crate a few inches and attached it to a bike rack. It’s served me well. Here’s a photo of the bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lungstruck/5587321036/

2. Ozmotear says:

A milk crate would be a better choice for something like this. It would hold up far better to the elements, is much lighter than a nice wooden box, and it is less likely to be stolen.

This also screams of Hipsterism. Save the wood crate for a window planter.

1. Alan Dove says:

It’s from a magazine published by Whole Foods. They know their audience.

1. Trav says:

Yep, even the slides are very Hipster

3. ka1axy says:

Two suggestions:
    – use “elastic stop nuts” or thread locker (“Loctite”) instead of double nuts
    – she really should tie back her long hair before using power tools (photo 5)

4. Alan Dove says:

My wife did this with a cheap (but nice-looking) wicker basket from Pier One. The basket has a buckle-down lid to keep stuff inside, and cable-tying the wicker to the luggage rack took all of five minutes.

5. Best Multivitamin for Men says:

this is so cool.

6. ka1axy says:

Maybe put another plate on the inside of the box, to distribute the force from the bolt heads?

7. Bill Meara says:

I think it looks cooler than it is. I tried it. I found that is seriously unbalances the bike. It also makes it much harder to get on and get off. I went back to a backpack. Too bad. I liked the look of the milk crate and bungie cords.

8. luther parker says:

I put a wooden crate from patatans craft store on my 1982 concorde and
    could’nt be happier, very light,get’s a lot of looks and only cost 9.99.
    Give it a try.

Comments are closed.

Tagged

Stett Holbrook is editor of the Bohemian, an alternative weekly in Santa Rosa, California. He is a former senior editor at Maker Media.

He is also the co-creator of Food Forward, a documentary TV series for PBS about the innovators and pioneers changing our food system.

View more articles by Stett Holbrook