Subscribe to Make Magazine Today!
Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of over a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture. He is currently a contributor for Boing Boing and WINK Books. And he has a new best-of writing collection and "lazy man's memoir," called Borg Like Me.

Latest from Gareth Branwyn

lampProject_3

Scottish-born designer, Dean Brown, sees strong connections between the Arts & Crafts Movement of the late 1800s – early 1900s and today’s Maker Movement. One of the visionaries behind Arts & Crafts was John Ruskin. In 1849, Ruskin wrote The 7 Lamps of Architecture, which served as something of a... Read more »

bs_011415_mf_frontlefthigh

It took master papercraft modeler Bernard Szukiel four painstaking years of squinting over tiny snips of paper and peeling PVA glue off of his fingers to complete this stunning Millennium Falcon. The model is 38″ long and made of 99% paper. The other 1%? It’s the many feet of fiber... Read more »

Last year, “plant artist” Azuma Makoto and a team of collaborators created Exobiotanica – Botanical Space Flight, sending a bonsai tree and some floral arrangements to the stratosphere using space balloons. Azuma and his team executed the launch last July in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert, reaching an altitude of some... Read more »

Ryan Deboodt combines a love of caves, photography, and drones in this amazing video taken inside Vietnam's Hang Son Doong, the world's largest known cave. Read more »

molecularPrinter

Dr. Martin D. Burke and a team of chemists at the University of Illinois may have brought us one giant step closer to 3D printing on the molecular level. Small molecules are the low molecular weight organic compounds that make up such things as pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals, and electronic components... Read more »

Comparing the miniature to a still from the movie.

Deviant Artist Xiang Zhang (aka NightT47), from Shanghai, China, paints (and implants hair on) 1/6 scale models with such proficiency and realism that he’s frequently accused of tricking us with Photoshop. He isn’t. Check out his Deviant Art gallery to see him work his magic on Heath Ledger’s Joker, Scarlett... Read more »

The largest amateur rocket ever built, at over 46′ tall, weighing in at 617 pounds, will attempt its first flight next weekend at the Thunda Down Under rocketry meet in Australia. This impressive-looking 1:1 scale replica of a V2 was created by the “rocket junkies” at the Rocket Victoria club.... Read more »