woodworking

I’ve built a lot of stuff with wood in my life, but I do not consider myself a “woodworker” by any stretch of the imagination. When I evaluate a project that uses wood, personally, what I look for is the maximum cool result for the least amount of technical skill and work. Here, then, are ten of my personal favorite bangiest-for-the-buck wooden projects from the vault. Enjoy!

#10

woodworkingBeginner Woodworking Project for Illusionists?

#9

#3

woodworkingHow-To: Build Large Couches on the Cheap

#2

woodworkingWooden Buttons From Fallen Branches

#1

woodworkingPlywood Coffee Table

Did I miss a good one? Let me know, below!

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Dave says:

#4 and #5 for me! Thanks for the post!

Stumbled from KS

2. modernfurniture says:

Some of these designs are amazing, personally I have never thought of the monochrome effect as being a good design for in the home,

but these are fantastic examples!

Modern Furniture

3. Mark Hunt says:

Great projects, but whats the Archimedes trammel for?

1. Very, very little, actually. Other than as a toy. Which uselessness inspired one of its other common names, “The BS Grinder.” Also, less offensively, “The Do-Nothing Grinder.”

2. Federico Mena Quintero says:

The trammel is for drawing ellipses – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfw0yYur5S4

Adjustable version – http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=70

a deal a day

6. BuyGiftsItems says:

Make money from home is not as difficult as most people believe that it
    is simply to find a market that is hungry for a product or service can
    provide.
    a deal a day

7. Really,,nice posting …this is great work by you…we can say your are naturally innovative.

8. I really like your site. you have some really great ideas and tips. I’ll be sure to try them out. Thanks

9. I am looking for work bench plans, or blue prints to show me how to build a bench. I have looked, but I have failed to find something. I want to make it from scratch, I don’t want to buy a ready made bench. Any help anyone can give me, it is so greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

1. Wayne says:

Hello–

If you are looking for simple woodworking projects that you can do from home then you need to look no further.

10. levi says:

search on youtube “cheap sturdy work bench” 2nd to top one

11. These are very nice creations, simple but elegant. And with us you can find the most cost effective way to complete your projects. Thanks for this post!!!

12. Ron says:

I love what you did with the wooden pallets. The design reminds me of an adirondack chair.
    I also like the very simple bed frame that still has a very nice look.
    Keep up the good work.

13. Cleo says:

Hi! I was researching for my brother when i came across this – he keeps ignoring me but I think a chest of drawers would be fairly easy. Hope you like the idea!

14. [...] you are a beginner, you may want to choose plans that are simple and straightforward in terms of their materials, tools, and instructions. However, it is also [...]

15. Ron says:

These are all great projects to start with as they each teach the basics concepts of woodworking that someone will need to go on to more complicated projects.

16. lucy says:

make easier projects for students.sincerly wood teacher

1. Ricky says:

l dont argee these are amazing ideas for ”talented childern” to make.

17. Ryan Wilford says:

I like the simple, rustic bedframe. This is exactly my style. I do not like it all to polished to be honest. The bench made using wood pallets is also a sweet – an amazing idea! I wonder if you could use these pallets to sleep on. If you think about it, they’re readymade duckboards. Just not to sure what kind of mattress would fit them.