This issue is all about drones! Check out the high-flying action of drone racing, where pilots fly using first-person video rigs. Then build the Hovership, a popular customized racing drone, and get tips setting up your own race track. Or if videography is more appealing, build the easy-to-fly Maker Hangar Tricopter and take smooth videos without props getting in the way. And you’ll get some quick tips on how to waterproof your drone to survive those unexpected water landings.
Plus, turn your smartphone into a microscope and capture amazing close-ups, build an acoustic guitar body out of stylish, durable carbon fiber, make a loudspeaker by vibrating an electric arc, and much more!
Build these projects from the issue!
Toy Inventor’s Notebook: Build a Classic Cartesian Diver Toy
Cartesian diver toy "Diving Tony" was a cereal box favorite. You can make one quickly from just a few parts. Use clear PETG tubing and a piece of solid styrene to make the diver follow your commands.
- Posted by Bob Knetzger | May 20th, 2015 8:00 AM
How to Clone and Grow a Fig Tree
Don’t steal fruit from your neighbor’s fig tree — clone it!
- Posted by Alastair Bland | May 19th, 2015 12:15 PM
Howtoons: Make Butter with Reverse Emulsion
Making butter is easy! All you need is a mason jar and heavy whipping cream.
- Posted by Nick Dragotta | May 13th, 2015 6:00 AM
Make a High Voltage Plasma Arc Speaker
Create a high-voltage loudspeaker that makes sound waves by vibrating an electric arc.
- Posted by John Iovine | May 12th, 2015 6:00 AM
Artists Sculpt Sweet Cityscapes out of Sugar Cubes
Over the past decade, Jamison has constructed a myriad of elaborate structures using nothing but sugar cubes and adhesive
- Posted by Andrew Salomone | May 7th, 2015 7:00 AM
How I Made a Carbon Fiber Acoustic Guitar
Carbon fiber isn't going to replace wood body guitars anytime soon, but for those who want something different here’s how I made the body for my carbon fiber acoustic guitar.
- Posted by Seth Newsome | May 6th, 2015 7:30 AM
Build Your First Tricopter
Tricopters fly smoother than quads and make better videos. Build the Maker Hangar Tricopter and see for yourself!
- Posted by Lucas Weakley | April 1st, 2015 7:01 AM
Pi Spy Surveillance System
The Raspberry Pi B+, Pi Camera Module, and free MotionPie software make it easy to keep a discreet eye on things
- Posted by Michael Castor | March 30th, 2015 6:45 AM
Hovership: 3D-Printed Racing Drone
Building your own mini quad is a good way to get your first rig while learning the fundamentals of multirotor flight and piloting
- Posted by Steve Doll | March 25th, 2015 9:40 AM
Review: Printrbot Simple Maker’s Kit
In 2013, Printrbot released the Simple and shook up the consumer 3D printer market. At $299, it smashed the competitions’ lowest price points and created a price war on Kickstarter. To achieve these cost savings, Printrbot created and adopted a few interesting tricks — some worked, some didn’t. Surprisingly for such a budget machine, the Simple was […]
- Posted by Matt Stultz | March 24th, 2015 4:00 PM
Your Obedient Servo
Learn the secret language of pulse modulation to master the continuous rotation servo
- Posted by Charles Platt | March 24th, 2015 10:14 AM
Drone Derby 101: Rules for FPV Racing
Set up your own FPV race with these handy guidelines
- Posted by Donald Hills | March 24th, 2015 6:21 AM
Formula FPV: Drone Racing is Taking Off
Fast and fun, first-person-view races are rocketing in popularity.
- Posted by Nathan Hurst | March 24th, 2015 6:20 AM
How to Protect Your R/C Electronics from the Elements
Even a relatively small puddle can ruin your high-flying fun — safeguard your investment with a few readily available products.
- Posted by Austin Furey | March 13th, 2015 4:24 PM
Charles Goodyear and the Vulcanization of Rubber
Re-create the process that gave us car tires, rubber bands, and the boots on your feet
- Posted by William Gurstelle | March 13th, 2015 1:16 PM
Easy Mega Infinity Mirror
This quick build makes a door-sized star portal — or a vertiginous beer-pong table!
- Posted by Lila Becker | March 13th, 2015 1:14 PM
DIY “Nutella” Spread
Make your own chocolate-hazelnut paste that’s better than store-bought
- Posted by Estérelle Payany | March 10th, 2015 2:40 PM
Build a Twilight Photometer to Detect Stratospheric Particles
Have you wondered why some sunsets are so spectacular and others so drab? This ultra-sensitive photometer project will allow you to tease out the secrets of twilight and even do serious science by finding the altitude of the dust, smoke, and air pollution that influence the colors of twilight.
- Posted by Forrest M. Mims III | March 10th, 2015 2:37 PM
Take amazing high-magnification photos with your own phone and the lens from a cheap laser pointer.
- Posted by Kenji Yoshino | March 10th, 2015 2:35 PM
Behold, The Noodle Copter!
A quadcopter made from pool noodles. Surprisingly practical and good looking (from a distance)!
- Posted by Mark Harrison | January 20th, 2014 5:46 PM
Skill Builder — Understanding Basic Woodworking Tools
Woodworker Len Cullum runs through the basic tools, measuring tools, and power tools used in woodworking.
- Posted by Len Cullum | May 18th, 2013 6:03 PM
Banana Oxidation Art
How to tattoo a banana.
- Posted by Jason Poel Smith | March 11th, 2013 10:33 PM